Thursday, February 7, 2013

Packing paper and cardboard boxes

I was packing up things in the kitchen yesterday - wrapping things in newspaper, getting frustrated I could never remember where I left the Sharpie -  when it dawned on me that usually when I pack there is the anticipation of opening up all those brown boxes soon and nesting in a new space.  I would be imagining the new home and finding a place for things.  But this time, I'm never going to unpack those boxes.  It's weird to give everything away.  It also feels amazing. 

Some time ago I was sitting on the sidewalk one evening while the kids I was babysitting played on the playground.  A girl came and sat beside me, asking if I'd help her with a few homework problems.  And so it began. Jennifer has been a sweet blessing in my life.  She and her two sisters and brother now often find their way to my kitchen table in the afternoon for help with homework, or to just have fun, bake cupcakes, make homemade pizza, watch movies...So in the middle of packing yesterday, I was not bothered at in a crazy, busy day when I heard a knock on the door.  What a precious afternoon of 5th grade math and spelling, followed by muffin baking.  Later in the night brother and sister were over.  I cherish these moments.  

1 comment:

  1. I am loving the transition to the blog from FB. And you sound so at peace with your move, a good sign of things to come! Love you!

    ReplyDelete